Pages

Thursday 3 July 2014

A stool for my handbag!

Peter and I enjoyed an excellent meal at a restaurant located close to our home in the Western Algarve, that I'm ashamed to admit, we have only just visited. It's been our loss, but I suppose with the commitments of running my own restaurant until very recently, I have had my attentions diverted. Anyway, as the saying goes - better late than never! 

The restaurant is called Cachoa and is located remotely along an unmade road, outside the town of Lagos. It is worth the trek and was truly a serendipitous find.

After a long afternoon at the town hall (camara) deployed in the battlefield of Portuguese bureaucracy, we were in need of a treat. I just couldn't muster the energy or enthusiasm to go home and prepare an evening meal, so I suggested that we eat out - somewhere inexpensive, as we were/are embarking upon a regime of economy! Leaving the outskirts of Lagos, I spotted a publicity board for 'Restaurante Cachoa' - and suggested that we stop as it was a venue that we had wanted to try. We were there for 'early doors' and lucky enough to get a table in a covered courtyard just outside the main restaurant. We were shown to our table and seated. I placed my handbag on the ground next to the table. Normally, I would not mention such a detail - it would be like writing about paint drying! But, this time I'm going to, because a waitress appeared almost immediately with a small stool especially for me to rest my bag on. What attention to detail! This was to be indicative of the service to follow.

A stool for my bag!

Chicken Teriyaki - a feast by itself!

Salmon with Herb Crust

"Where do I start?" 

Our surroundings were cosy, inviting and convivial. The restaurant started to fill quickly - the waiting staff were efficient but discreet as they busied their way around the tables. It was altogether a very professional operation, something that should be commonplace rather than the exception. 

To start, I ordered the Chicken Teriyaki. The portion was very generous (maybe too generous) and mouthwateringly delicious, combining an array of complementary ingredients and flavours to tantalize. For my main course, I chose the Baked Salmon with Herb Crust - again very satisfying and well presented. My only criticism is that it was a bit dry and I felt would have benefitted from a sauce or more dressing. My husband's Rack of Lamb was demolished eagerly with murmurs of appreciative satisfaction. With no space left for a dessert, we paid our bill (which was most reasonable) leaving both replete and content. We plan to return this weekend to share the experience with friends. Oh heavens, I forgot the economy run. Next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment