Pages

Thursday 7 August 2014

BAD (TAGLIATELLE) HAIR DAY !

 Following a bad, bad hair day - This was a pasta perfect remedy!!!


I've had pasta on my mind more than usual following a post I read by Joy the Baker (joythebaker.com - French Onion Pasta - fab! I recommend it). Well, it must have come at a time when, subliminally, I was craving comfort food. You may have read my previous post (Salad, Wine and Wind don't mix!), to know that I have been trying to make the most of our summer here in south west Portugal. Despite the high winds (not typical for this time of year), I have been intent on cooking and creating recipes suited to the season that we should be enjoying. However, that quickly changed, following a meeting with my accountant, who heralded some unfavourable financial news. At that point, the evening menu was decided! I would seek comfort in pasta ........ and wine!

Salmon and Prawn Tagliatelle - deliciously simple!
(4 people)
500g salmon fillet (skin removed after baking)
200g cooked Greenland prawns - defrosted
2 leeks, chopped
2 Spring onions, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
A 'glug' of Moscatel or sweet wine
200ml cream
Shavings of Parmesan cheese
Salt and Pepper
2 tbsp of olive oil
Chopped basil to garnish and ground black pepper
Fresh Tagliatelle 

Wrap the salmon tightly in a lightly buttered piece of foil and bake in a pre-heated oven for 15 minutes. Remove, open the foil and set aside.

Bring a pan of water with a few drops of olive oil in it to the boil and add the tagliatelle. Cook until the pasta is just soft. While this is happening ...... in a heavy based pan - add the olive oil, then add the leeks, spring onions and garlic. Add salt and pepper. Pan fry for a couple of minutes. Add a 'glug' of the wine. Be careful not to make it too sweet! Let this simmer for 10 minutes and add the cream. Mix together well. Gently flake the salmon and mix softly into the sauce. Add the defrosted prawns. Cook gently for 2 minutes and remove from the heat.

Drain the pasta and spoon over the salmon and prawn sauce. Garnish with flakes of Parmesan, ground black pepper and some fresh basil. Tuck in! As my son would say - LUSH!

I don't normally like to have my photo taken, but this likeness, in which I am sufficiently disguised, evidences the high winds that I have been bemoaning and find so irritatingly .... irksome (I could be more dscriptively precise!) There is also a relevance in posting it, because my hair looks like the tagliatelle that I cooked and frighteningly, it's the same colour !!!! 






No comments:

Post a Comment