Pages

Wednesday 6 August 2014

Salad, Wind and Wine don't mix!

Despite the strong and fresh winds that we are experiencing here in the Western Algarve, I am not yet going to give in to winter comfort food. One wouldn't believe it is August - I feel so sorry for the sand blasted and wind burned tourists that visit Portugal in search of sun, sand and all the rest! The TV news has recently reported that we have David Cameron and family here on holiday - I hope they have the use of a good strong wind breaker and packed plenty of woollies!

I will not be defeated by some rogue weather. We are British, so we will endure the cold, wrap up in blankets, sit on the terrace and eat salad! I may meet with some resistance from the family, but remind them that we paid a fortune for the terrace furniture, so we will use it!


On with the purpose of this post - my Summer Fruit Salad. It's really very, very easy to prepare, as you can see (photographed before it took flight!).
On a bed of shredded ice berg lettuce, add cherry tomatoes (from our garden), chopped Spring onions, chopped celery, kiwi fruit, figs and raspberries. Then add some slices of Mozzarella cheese and coat with a good quality olive oil and drizzle with a 'creme de vinaigre balsamic de Modena'. The addition of pine nuts or toasted almond flakes would give a little extra crunch.



Pure bliss! I happened to have some Jamon de Extremadura in the fridge, bought on a previous trip to Spain. If I was about to be sent to the gallows, this would be my last supper choice, accompanied by copious amounts of Chablis to numb the noose!

So on an August summer evening, I summoned the troops and we sat down to supper on the terrace. Instantly, a violent gust of wind, claimed half the salad and propelled my recently recharged glass of wine (thankfully, not Chablis) into orbit. I know when I am defeated, so we retreated to the comfort of the kitchen with half a salad, the ham in tact but the wine and glass not!
Tomorrow I'll make a casserole with dumplings and order wood for the fire! Hope you're in a less windy position David (geographically, I mean)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment